Sunday, August 06, 2006

For the Love of it



Been on a book reading spree since last few weeks. Read “The Zahir” by Paul Cohleo. Cld never understand his “The Alchemist”..Due to author's/book's immense popularity among everyone I knew,decided to give the author another try..So when I saw "Zahir" I thought it was the time..Worth it was.

Does not mean that I change my stand wrt Alchemist but Zahir is another story altogether. Or is it that I am in a realtionship, makes me indentify with it more..Have u ever thought if ppl really appreciate these bestseller's or is it more of I should not be left behind feeling. I do have my own doubts.

Coming to think of it there has been quite a few interesting incidences of me not being able to read bestsellers. Best example in the list was Vikram Seth’s “A Suitable Boy”. Made hubby gift me on one of my B’days . After quite a few chapters I was lost totally lost in all the banares ki galiyaan described by the author. Still trying to find my way thru them and the book, yeah u guessed it right never cld complete it.

Similar story was repeated with Alchemist ,Call Centre one..though I must say by this time I was intelligent enough not to buy the books rather read them and decide upon my opinions abt them

Took me really another 2 years before I could gather the courage to pick up Vikram Seth’s another book. But finally I did “Two Lives”. Real treat and something I cld finish at one go. But the bitter lesson had taught me to really believe my instincts rather than going by bestsellers. Now I make sure I read at least 2 chapters of the book in the bookstore before deciding it as a worth buy. Good strategy and thanks to Landmark or say so many new browsing bookstores can be fulfilled

Coming back to reading. Currently on Chronicles of Narnia. I had loved the movie(there is a movie on Part 1) and so when I came across this ebook I grabbed the opportunity. Six more stories to the legend..Reading them I could almost visualize all the details, thanks to precise detailing in first movie

The talking lion, kids as kings queen, walking and talking trees, talking squirrel too proud of his whisker’s.. Wohoo .interesting it sounds ..Power of cinema.
Out of the reading world is full of adventure. Found this group of trekkers organizing regular trips from Bangalore nearly every weekend.

Also came to know abt ppl who do regular Bird watching around Lalbagh. DO NOT LAUGH. Not the bird watching u think the real original one..
Rightly they say it as a city of opportunities. Must thank orkut as well as all the info came from there.

Nowadays u can found soo many articles on blogging. Most of them are so outrageously funny..Trying to put blogging into steps to be done...well u get some tips as well to popularize your blog. Like read others blog Leave comments there to popularize yours.. Never stick to a topic for long. Blah blah blah...

Well not that mine is a popular blog but I still believe, the day I start blogging keeping such steps in mind my blog surely will be dead. It is the passion which makes me write and it is the lovely feel I get when I read other’s blog that makes me write comments rather than u praise me and I praise u stuff.

There are counterviews to any theory and so my ears wld be open to hear that. Writing this since last 45 minutes and to think of it, can this be really done without the love of it.
Interesting thought

Cheers and BFN

Trivia:Pic of the home is from one of our walks. Fell in love with it..Looks like a dream home

8 comments:

Mr. J said...

You reading best sellers while i'm back to reading subject books :(

jhantu said...

Who the hell Does "REal bird-watching in Lalbagh", bloody waste fellows of india.

Sangita S said...

Me: :-) but we both are happy reading our kindaa books..Life is treating you good ;-)

Jhantu:U seem quite frustrated with ur bird watching. well surely ur kindaa ppl do not do "REal Bird watching"..Anyways Good luck

rauf said...

I love total fantasy or blood and tissue reality. Alchemist was a treat. So was the blunt 'catcher in the rye' Steinbeck, Saul bellow touch your bones. Ayn Rand writes about gods that don't exist, its like drinking some expensive wine.
one gets a kick. I don't know what wine is.

Please don't forget Lal bagh flower show, please avoid weekends
Officially opens on 15th August I think. If you are serious about taking pictures 11th would be ideal. Flowers would be fresh. Not like it used to be. I was disapponited five years ago. about 15 -20 years ago it was simply breathtaking.

I'll be in Bangalore on 16th but no time for flower show, have to rush to Mysore. Going Alleppy for Nehru Trophy boat race on 12th.

SwB said...

belive me its better not to be popular - a bludy curse it is. Look at me - I've doen nothing to deserve 200 visitors a day but still they come.

Hope all is well with you Sangita.

Warm regards,
SwB

Sangita S said...

rauf: hope u liked the pics..will try Ayn Rand..Quite a few ppl have recommended somehow I got a bias that I can't read that..not sure how it creeped in..will check it out

SwB:Now u makng me real jealous..200 visitors and u say u really do not care..Cool man but yeah too many or too less both are equally bad I guess..Me doing great :-)

Varsha said...

hmm me just finished alchemist....some part i understood and some went 2 feet over my head. same with 11 minutes.

And caal centre too was so so...didn't like the end.

Have u read Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier? A classic...nice book..also a Hitchcock movie.

Sangita S said...

Varsha: Good to see someone joining me in my views wrt Alchemist.Not read rebecca though heard of it..