Monday, February 06, 2006

Season Rides



Fairs are the flavor of the season..Here in Kolkata , one fair’s end has been leading to the start of another..and the cycle continues till Feb Mid..So there has been Industrial Fair Flower Show Book Fair and latest Salt Lake Mela

Took hubby to the mela. Best was the Break Dance ride..yeah u heard it right.that was the name. .Hubby was shockingly amused that he was doing such a stupid thing as getting on these rides. Enjoyable moment’s

My purchase from mela was glass bowls..I am a fan of any glass cutlery.and the only thing that has till date stopped me from buying it is our gypsy like existence..Though I love packing bags every second year and going off to a new destination..Life like this has its own limitations..and one of them is any extra baggage and breakable on top of that is huge no no..

But this one time I made an exception..Nope not that bowls are very pretty but they were GLASS bowls and so damn cheap that I cld not resist it.. 5 rs per piece..Cool isn’t it..I mean even if I use it for 3 months and throw it off it wldn’t pinch..yeah so me planning to do exactly that Yipee

Currently my agenda is to eat everything possible out of it..Hubby finds it quite funny.. But I am sure he will get used to it..

Last week was sarswati pooja..Had loads of sweets and special Prasad of bengal..Also went to neighbor’s relatives.. My ma in law says tum kahan kahan pahunch jaati ho J

Pooja was fun..Sarswati idol had half moon like shiva’s idol generally has..yeah guess all gods are made to look so alike that even makers forget what r they doing....Best part was food..

Bengali with loads of vegetables and sweets..Misthi Dahi(Dahi made in mitti I handi..Is a speciality here) was real good..and I am always a huge fan of tomato chatni.. yummy

End of the pooja was marked by an adda session and tea..(Bengali have this habit of getting together in respective areas called para and do loads of gapbaazi called adda). Interesting discussion on living in India vs living abroad..Gosh there has not been an iota of change since the days we used to discuss the topic and today when these new kids were doing it

All n all good trip..Highlight was the discussion below on our way back

Neighbor(on seeing a Doberman): They cut tail of Dobermans to make them ferocious
Her Son(All curious) : why , why does that make them ferocious
Neighbor (Little uncomfortable) : Their nervous system goes all awry
Son(Very angry and agitated by now as he sees no reason)
: Why what r u saying..We humans with one legs are not ferocious..
Sangita : Loud laugh
Neighbor(Agitated) : Tumi ekdum boka (U r a fool)
Neighbor : looking at me angrily

Yeah that’s what I did.i know...Now promise to go back to the kid with the details..

Trivia:After some searching found cutting the tails was a practice done as these pets were used for hunting..and it was thought their tails might get caught in the bush.

5 comments:

rauf said...

hot hotter hottest are the only seasons here, but for some reason Nov. Dec. Jan are called season the rest called off season.

I have heard people say
'you may not get a hotel room in the season'
or
'its cheaper off season'
there a lots of Fairs too, Dec. early Jan is the music season here.
I go to a few concerts every year but this time absolutely none. getting more and more lazy. Have no patience to sit for 3 hours.
There are sabha's music organising associations. They are gods. If you perform at 7PM dance or music, you are a big shot. if you perform at 5 pm you are not so big shot. if you perform at 2 pm you are a beginner. this is the time slots you get. even if you have loads of talent better than the masters.

Mr. J said...

Wow, so many fairs. You know your blog makes me envy Home so much. lucky you. And the doberman and the kid.. tell me you did it on purpose. Lol..

Sangita S said...

rauf : yeah guess Nov Dec we wait for New year to come and Jan we celebrate it :-)

Me:it was parallel reaction of me and neighbor..she scolding and me laughing. I am not that wicked :-;

e2d said...

hey sangita---what a lovely post! I have a thing for clay pottery..and its almost a big family joke now.Anyway I can totally relate and understand yr love and enthusiasm for glass bowls.
I got a feeling of nostalgia and homesickness reading yr post.Found the adda session with tea particularly interesting.What fun!

Sangita S said...

e2d: clay pottery sounds real cool..wanted to pursue it some time back..Know not when will do so in reality..but we live on hopes right :-)