Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Kolkata Book fair 2006







Impressive Aren't they..Image power ..

Welcome aborad to 31st Kolkata Book Fair. Gave it a visit yesterday..Sounds quite old to me..I mean if u look at it fair started even before I was born..

Largest in Asia and largest attended ever in the world..Later attribute I believe is more due to sheer population we have rather than anything else..But still need to appreciate that at least nowadays ppl are back to book buying spree’s and publication do try hard at their end in luring them young..

Most of the parents were there to buy books for their kids..With the pretty hardcovers loads of pics and thinner size, they are easy on the pockets of the parents and minds of the kids..So much so that even I read those old kids tales standing there J
Sleeping beauty, Snow white Good to see them from time to time..

Mentioning of them reminds me of a teleserial Fairy Tale Theatres.Way back when I was a child must be in 80’s sometime I guess ..Not sure how many of u saw it.. Though I do not remember who was the producer director but some of the stories and images have stayed with me till date..Yummy.. I can watch it over and over again.Wish I could get my hands on to it..I ld like to tell me children one day, see I grew up watching this ..hmm

Ok now coming back to books,what I liked was the fact of breaking collection into separates stories per book..(Like separating Sherlock homes stories in a pocket book format..) Heard that sales are bettering day by day .Aggressive Marketing has its own advantages at times..

However quite surprisingly, somehow adult section was not as well defined as I would have liked it to be..I mean yeah u got loads of books for kids,growing up kids even sleaze section..But what abt the average avid reader..I felt quite left out there.. and discount a feeble amount of 10 percent.. Personally speaking I found the collection at Landmark, Oxford and Crossword far better..

I wanna go one more time..
This time will ensure checking out all the four entrances based on Spanish theme. I did click few book stalls..Check Kolkata Book fair 2006 album at
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sangita_gupa/my_photos

For food I had sweet rice..This was a delicacy my grand ma used to prepare for us..Been years since I had that. Even though taste had a little weird connotation to it I lapped it over with a nostalgic aroma.

Day full of books,food and festivities. Yipee

Another Quote
‘Logic can take you from A to B. Imagination everywhere’

Trivia:Pics above are from Book Fair stalls. To me they mean freedom of expression, money(sponsorship) and knowledge (esp to kids)..All three fairly important for us to keep us growing ..

3 comments:

Mr. J said...

Wow... lucky you. I have to think twice before picking up a title I like.. Have fun...

rauf said...

Pictures are getting better and better Sangita, dhalias are lovely, would you please try going a little closer ?

Once on my way to Sikkim, had some time to spare in your city, I bought a couple of on the road side, where the entire road was full of old book shops Any idea what that road is called ? want to go there again.

e2d said...

Books fairs and sweet rice!!!---what a nice way to spend the day.
Enjoyed checking out yr photo-album..liked yr art work ..u must have tons of patience.:)