Thursday, January 19, 2006

Amazing Lives



Excess of everything is bad..so true Guess for last few days I had been so engrossed in my photographic world ,from taking the pics to putting them on blog making albums goshh..I am tired and now I feel like I am done with for next few days..(nope not weeks I guess, J)..

My mind is sooo empty today..this is a very rare feeling as generally it is stocked up piled up with so many things going on..Slept like a log yesterday Imagine it was only 8 in the night and I was already exhausted and on the bed..

Seeing loads of biographies since last few days.Courtsey History Channel.....Few interesting ones..
First one that interest me was Mario Puzo.. Mario wanted to be gangster as a young child..Being born in an immigrant family.. and spent earlier childhood years , in Manhattan's West Side , he had seen mafia at quite close quarters.. It was only his mother’s strict disciplinary actions that ensure he never had his childhood dream come true..

Reason we got a GodFather..A classic even in today’s time

He had written 2 novels before Godfather..Both gave him literary success and he was tagged a great writer in making..but none gave him the much needed money to support his family of five children

That is when he set to write a commercial novel and after an effort of 3 years came out ‘The GodFather’.. Mario even apologized for writing this saying this was never the best of his work


Another one that I watched and it really impressed me was Martina Navratilova..Might be lots of tennis fans out there already know but some of the facts I knew for the first time were an eye opener for me..They might explain her aggressiveness to a certain extent..or I like to believe so

She was already winning matches at 16 yrs of age for her country..but was under tough scanner from Czechoslovakia for her so called American manners.. she was made to share her prize money with Czechoslovakia’s federation.. Seems a very little of the amount was actually trickling to her.. Czech government even tried to restrict her from moving around and forcing her not to travel to US ..In the end she decided to defect to her own country and the cost was quite high..She did not see her family for another decade..

Imagine an 18 yr old in an alien country with no family and support..Well rest is history as we all know more or less abt her wins and her journey in tennis..

Good to see there are amazing ppl with a more amazing life and determination in this world

Trivia:Pic above is the pond I cross when I go for my painting class..

4 comments:

rauf said...

Until Vallachi papers was published not many knew about the cosa nostra, the Italian Mafia, Puzo's Godfather came much later.

Navratilova had to fight many battles like Nadia Comaneci, the first one to win perfect 10 in montreal olympics '76 I think, please check Sangita my memory has gone pretty rusty. Her defection too was a big drama.

rauf said...

Its a good idea Sangita, please post what ever bits and pieces of information you get. I never knew about Mario Puzo, thanks so much.

Mr. J said...

Nice pic and some interesting facts you shared there..

There's something about Sherry... said...

hiya, sangita

thanks for dropping by, do visit again.

u have some cool stuff. wish i had the time to post more pics...

sherry