Tuesday, January 24, 2006

My Thoughts on Sonia



Few days back I was watching Sonia Gandhi’s interview by rajdeep..This led me thinking about her and what it must feel like to go through such a long personal and professional journey on one’s own..

Sonia Gandhi..Her name always spells an aura of awe, brevity and mystery for me..
Not that I am a political follower of Gandhi’s or Congress or any party for that matter..
But it is Sonia the person who has always made me wonder.

I know not much about her personal life apart from what is covered in media what is written about her in public domain and of course the way she has conducted herself amid all the controversies, all the adversaries..

Whenever there has been a debate on her foreign origin, on her poor Hindi communication skills, I have wondered as an individual what must have transpired in her mind to come to an alien country take on its customs, it ppl as one’s own and then to face such allegations from time to time. To me it is eccentric especially when you have no one to hold to, with a husband dead , ma in law long before gone..and two young children to be taken care of..

So many times I have thought only way I wld have reacted was ‘This country took my husband away, his whole family away, now wants to take my freedom away and then next target wld be my own children..I will not let that happen at any cost’ and then wld have gone back to my origins at the first given opportunity..

But she was different and that’s what lets me appreciate her..

Once she wld have started working actively into congress I am sure she wld have her own doubts on ppl accepting her, her learning graph and the unfortunate fate of all the Gandhi’s in past..

Also how can we forget issues raking her political career.. Issues of foreign origin ,her not speaking Hindi well and Indian citizenship

I find the issue of foreign origin quite interesting. How come a person who take’s her husband’s land as her own, works for the vision of her family rises out of personal trauma to work in her own way for the country is still not an Indian.. I find it an irony that her own children are considered Indian but not the mother who bore them..

For Sonia connecting to rural India would have been a huge task personally and professionally..Considering the barriers she had of language, origin .. she has surpassed them all..Being considered an icon for rural India itself says it all..Some of u might say polls are all raked up, but I must they might not be totally correct but have to be indicative of some trend being seen..A personal triumph for her.

I am not saying here that she is a great leader or something..That might be separate debate.. but wrt to challenges that life throws at us she has risen to every opportunity in the best possible manner she cld have .

Self Learning is a difficult task believe me.. and she has done it with élan..

Oops am I resurrecting Sonia Gandhi..Well nope just trying to portray a sketch of what I think ‘Sonia Gandhi an Individual’ must be like or must have thought

Opinions can very well differ..Some one might agree more with a view that she is a well scheming person who saw the power seat waiting for next gen of Gandhi’s and could not let it go..Everything she has done is a part of a bigger scene and the ultimate motive of seeing her own children on the pedestal somewhere their father their grandmother stood..

Now only thing I can say to that is being in democracy all of us have a right to
thought J
But I admire her for her spirit and her silent ways.

Now over to another quote I find amusing :
‘I am not not crazy, just in bad Mood for last 30 years’

4 comments:

Mr. J said...

Wonderful. Yep, I admire her strength. From what she was to what she is now. Nice read and a nice way you put forth this post about her.

Ruchikar said...

Does anybody need to speak Hindi to connect to the masses in India? Masses need idols, specially in India. It doesn't matter how good the idols are. Or for that matter, whether they can communicate or have the capability to actually lead a party/state/country.

As a part of the Gandhi dynasty, the idol-ness was already in place for Sonia. All she had to do was to maintain an enigma about herself and her family, which she, quite sensibly, did.

Having said that, she did make quite a remarkable journey personally. Well, everything is personal, even the profession, isn't it? One definitely needs some steel in oneself, to actually undergo this kind of journey.

So, inspite of my (so apparent) skepticism of her capabilities, I admire her.

rauf said...

Yupsee I admire her too, her determination mostly, yes the future is bleak her children face the threat always, but I wonder how she tollerats all the jokers around her. Please don't forget that she comes from a country where politicians talk with guns.

There's something about Sherry... said...

sangita,

u have been tagged...

:-)